Saturday, December 28, 2013

My First Half-Marathon


I want to start off by saying that I have been running for almost three years and never
once have I considered a race. Not a 5k, half-marathon, full marathon, etc.
This past weekend I ran my first half-marathon and it was an experience I’ll never forget.
I am already signed up for my next race…another half marathon – that’s how good this race
made me feel.

I started training for this race about 6 weeks ago. I signed up for it on a whim. I wanted
to not only challenge myself but I wanted to see if I could really do it, to see if the past 3
years had really made me into a true runner.

I know there are tons of training schedules and programs you can buy or find online, but
I knew I wouldn't find one for my situation. I was currently running 5-6 days a week, for
at least 6 miles a day. I had successfully run 9 miles in the past (on multiple occasions),
so I didn't think I needed someone to tell me I needed to run a particular pace, a certain
distance, etc.

I merely added a mile onto my long runs each week, my last being 12 miles and hoped
for the best.

Race morning came and I wasn't so much nervous, just a bit anxious because I didn't
know what was truly going to happen. You know, when will the group of runners break
up, will the roads be blocked off properly, will I out-do myself and have to walk, will I be
last…all of these things were running through my mind.

Then it started and I had my hand on my Garmin waiting to cross the start line to start my
watch and it was an amazing feeling to know what I was about to do. I ended up sticking
with a pacer, which I will always be grateful for. She was pacing to run the race in 2
hours and 10 minutes. I felt like that time would be good for me. I wasn't trying to PR
with this race; I was racing to know that I could.

The race went by in what felt like a flash. I remember every road and every water station
and every volunteer, but when I finally got to the finish line, I couldn't believe it was
over.

After I crossed the finish line, I found Josh and we headed to the car. They had the
announcements for who placed and where, but I knew I didn't fall in line with those
athletes and all I really wanted was to shower and change so we headed home!

When I first got home and showered, I felt fine. A little worn out but considering what I
had just done, I felt great. Then we left to run errands and it was then (while walking to
the car from our apartment) that I felt like I had aged 50 years. I mean – I was walking
slow, clutching my back, moaning…you know, all of the things older people do! It was
funny…to me at least. As the day wore on, I slowly started to feel less sore. And by the
evening time, I felt fine! I was already thinking about when I could run another half-
marathon. I ended up deciding on the half marathon that will be in Melbourne during the
first weekend in February.

I hadn't officially decided if I would run Sunday morning so when I woke up and I lay in
bed, slowly stretching, I realized I felt fine. So, I got up, got dressed, laced up my running
shoes and ran 7.5 miles. I will admit though, around mile 7, I felt sore and my legs felt
heavy, but it was still a great run!

It was also great to know that Josh was there (at the race)…to take pictures, to cheer me
on, to run with me (for a small stint), and to be at the finish line when I finally crossed it.
Thank you Josh!

As far as the weather is concerned, I couldn't have asked for better weather for mid-
October in South Florida. It was in the mid-60’s, humidity was manageable, and it was
cool enough to not make me feel like a chicken in the oven…baking!

While I plan to do more races in the future, I wanted to document this one to the best of
my ability, because, well, I’ll never have another first race.

My official race time was 2 hours and 5 minutes. I placed 7th in my age group (25-29
years old) and 129th out of 271 for the overall race.

It was amazing! Can’t wait for the next!


3 comments:

  1. Congrats Kim! That is great!! Good luck with your next half and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?! So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete

  3. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete